Monday, August 12, 2013

Character study idea 1: drawing

I have never been satisfied with the way I draw. Like, ever.
But not being satisfied, and therefore not drawing, is setting me back farther than I would be if I just muddled through being frustrated.

Anywho...

I just recently drew a character that I like very much. She's traditional; crimpy/curly hair, freckles, wide eyes, curvy/chubby body (besides the fact that she's got a mermaid's tail). But I very much enjoyed drawing her.

So my next thing is to try to draw her again. And again.

There are plenty of memes on DeviantArt for this, but I'm writing it out anyway.

If you have a character drawn out in a certain pose or position that they always seem to be in, try doing a drawing of each:

  • front facing
  • side profile
  • 3/4 profile
  • back
Draw in the little details, or just the outline. 
This also works well for fashion and costume designers to get an almost 360 degree angle. 

Once you know your character well enough, you can try different, more difficult angles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment